Having the right medicine with you can literally be a life saver. Just iagine finding out that your stomach thinks that you should not have had that ice cream just before your bus departs for a 18 hour ride.
Always double check with medical authorities what you need to bring on your trip (e.g. you may need to bring malaria medicine). If you have medicine from past trips you plan to bring along check the expiry date.
The below list has a few suggested items which may come in handy, use it as inspiration and create your own.
- Immunizations Make sure you get the immunizations you need in time for your departure.
- Surgical tape
- Compress/sterile wraps
- Fungus treatment It can be easy to get fungal infections in warm and humid climate
- Nose spray (against colds)
- Cough medicine
- Diarrhoea medicine
- Heartburn medicine
- Constipation medicine
- Rehydration salts If you lose a lot of liquid they can help you avoid dehydration.
- Mosquito repellent
- Lice treatment
- Malaria medication If you need this check which type you need. There are different types, some with side effects. You may have to start taking the malaria medication in advance.
- Antibiotics Check with your physician if it is advisable.
- Vitamin and mineral tablets Useful if you have a one-sided diet.
- Sunburn lotion Treatment if you get burned from staying in the sun for too long.
- Clinical thermometer To measure fever/temperature.
- Prescription medicine in original packaging If you have prescription medicine, put it in the original packaging. Check if it is legal in your destination.
- Prescriptions For your medicine.
- Sterile syringe If you are worried that the syringes available locally are not clean.
- First aid kit Fill it up with some of the suggested medicine.
- Band aid Get some different sizes for different wounds.
- Blister moleskin Moleskins are a special type of band aid. It consists of artificial skin that you can cut to shape and then apply on top of your blister.
- Eye drops If your eyes get dry
- Condom/lubrification/birth control pills etc Well, you never know when you might get lucky 😉
- Sore Throat Lozenges For treatment of sore throat.
- Motion sickness pills Check with your pharmacy how much time in advance you need to take the pills for the effect to kick in.
- Lotion for insect bites