There can be a lot of costs involved with backpacking. Avoid having to cut your trip short by doing a realistic budget before you leave. Use the below items to create a budget for your next trip.
* Airline ticket – use a search engine to find the best prices
* Airport tax – sometimes included in the ticket price
* Cancellation insurance – may be included if you pay by visa
* Transfer costs to/from airport
* Insurance – check what is included in your home owner insurances
* Cost of immunizations – shop around, prices can vary a lot
* Medicine – some medication (e.g. against malaria) can be quite expensive
* Food – do you plan to cook yourself or eat out all the time?
* Local transport
* Tours – these can be a lot cheaper if you buy them locally than through a middleman in your home country
* Tips – this can be quite expensive in some countries, check out what is expected
* Entrance fees
* Telephony – check roaming charges with your operator if you plan to bring your cell phone
* Camera film
* Courses – do you plan to study a language, take surf lessons
* Film development
* Visa fees – may be cheaper to get on the road than back home
* Costs for home while away (e.g. rent, electricity)
* New things to buy (e.g. new backpack)
* Other unexpected costs (bound to happen)
Use the above budget items as a start to create your own cost model. Add or subtract items according to profile of the trip that you plan. Happy travels!